As Featured On
What is the best door lock installation kit tools?
We evaluated the top door lock installation kit available in the market compared the process of tools features, usages, life cycle and cost.
Written by: Jack Griffith | Updated: 4th February, 2019
Are you looking for the best door lock installation kit that would ensure your safety and security? Do you want to be able to install it easily? Want to purchase something cheap but of high quality?
In this article, we are going to discuss about what is the best installation kit and different types of door lock system. So that, you can choose the suitable one for your home.
Tools Adviser team collaborate with our guest author over here to create this guide for all of you. We research and check many products based on cost, features, using process and so on. Then came up with a list of top recommended product to help you out all. Before buying anything you can read our buying guide to know more and find the suitable one for you.
Top 6 Recommended Products
- DEWALT D180004 Bi-Metal Door Lock Installation Kit
- BLACK+DECKER 79-362 HCS Door Lock Installation Kit
- Irwin Tools 3111001 Wooden Door Lock Installation Kit
- Ryobi A99DLK4 Wood and Metal Door Lock Installation Kit
- MIBRO 300681 Carbon Steel Door Lock and Deadbolt Installation Kit
- Ryobi A99HT2 Door Hinge Installation Kit
In This Article
- Top 6 Recommended Products
- What is the best door lock installation kit tools?
- Factors to Consider Before You Purchase
- Editor’s Pick for Top Six Recommended Products
- Best Seller Installation Kit
- Affordable Installation Kit
- Durable and Carbon Installation Kit
- Easy Deadlock and Lockset Installation Kit
- EZ-Guide Template Installation Kit
- All-in-One Installation Kit
- What are the Different Types of Door Lock System?
- Mortice locks
- Night latches
- Multi-point locking systems
- Biometric Door Locks
- Combination Door Locks
- Garage Door Locks
- High-Security Door Locks
- Keyless Door Locks
- Cylinder locks
- Key-operated security bolts
- Closed shackle padlocks
- Straight shackle or shutter padlocks
- Magnetic Door Locks
- Patio Door Locks
- Remote Door Locks
- How do I Change a Door Lock?
What is the best door lock installation kit tools?
All of us need some form of security, and an efficient door lock would only provide this. There are a lot of door locks that are available in the market, but not all of them will be easy to install. Sometimes, this becomes a problem for people because instead of buying a door lock, they would opt not to do so because they do not know how to install it. Fortunately, there are a lot of available installation kits that may now be found in the market.
Which is the best one?
Of course, you would want something that would fit most common lock sizes that are in use today. If you will be installing a lot of locks, then you would need something that would fit everything. It should also be able to work whether your door is a metal or not. There are also certain features that you need to look out for such as a hole saw or backing plates that may be used to strengthen the reliability of your lock. It is essential that your kit is complete so it would be convenient for you to do the job even by yourself.
Factors to Consider Before You Purchase
When it comes time for buying a installation kit, there are a few factors to consider, and hopefully, you will find this article helpful in making your decision.
These features, there are other things that you need to consider before you purchase your own:
- Brand – This is important because not all brands will give you what you need. Just like any other product that you are interested in buying, you should look for the brand that has been tried and tested already. This way, you will be ensured of the quality of product that you will be receiving. It is not difficult to look for the perfect one because you can see lists and reviews online that could help you have an idea as to which one is currently on top and is loved by many.
- Design – This is also important for some people because they would want the lock and the kit to match their other tools. There are different designs that you will see in online shops and local home stores. Based on your preferences, choose that which would satisfy your needs. The design does not matter for some as long as the significant components are complete. However, some still prefer specific models that would contribute to the efficiency of the tools.
- Material – The material used for the kit should also be noted because this will determine the durability of the product. Most of the products that you will see online are already made of M3 steel, and this is good already. It would give you that certain hardness and compactness that you are looking for in a tool. However, even with that kind of material, you can expect that the material is lightweight and would still be easy to hold and use even for more extended periods.
- Size – If you think that size does not matter, think again. It does when it comes to the best door lock installation kit. Not only will it affect how you handle the tool itself, but it will also impact the kind of locks that you will be able to install. Of course, the portability of the entire kit will also be affected. Most people will choose to go with those that are small and compact but will still be able to the job efficiently.
- Power Source – This is another thing that you need to consider because it also varies from one manufacturer to another. Some would give you corded-electric tools that you should plug on a socket. However, some already come with wireless kits and this is convenient especially for those who are always on the go. However, you would need to understand how it would be able to work once it runs out of power.
- Easy setup – Who doesn’t want convenience? If you are looking for a particular product, this should be one of the primary considerations that you should account for. If you’re going to save your time and energy, then you will choose something that is very easy to set up especially if you are fond of doing DIY projects. By easy to set up, we mean that you need not someone such as a professional who will teach you how to do it. It should be easy to use even by beginners who will be using the kit for the first time.
- Durability – This consideration would help in ensuring that you will be getting your money’s worth. If you are going to invest for the best door lock installation kit tools, you had better find something that will last for years. Otherwise, you will only be wasting your money and other resources. The durability of a specific tool may be determined by the brand, quality, and materials that were used in manufacturing the product. Try to read reviews because people will usually comment on an individual item’s durability.
Editor's Pick for Top Six Recommended Products
To help you decide which one to buy, here are some top products that are available in Amazon right now.
Best Seller Installation Kit
DEWALT D180004 Bi-Metal Door Lock Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Great in drilling holes for the doorknob.
- The clamp is strong and secure and will surely last for years.
- You get what you pay for.
What We Don’t Like –
- Issues with the product being flimsy
- The inner sleeve might get worn out easily
This is one good product that would provide you with ease in installing your door lock. This brand can accommodate almost every door that you would see in houses and establishments. May it be metal or wood, you will be able to use this model efficiently. It has all the features that you need such as the backing plates that will be used to counteract warping. This kit utilizes the C-clamp design that has been found to be very efficient regarding contributing to the functionality of the tool. It also comes with adjustable bushings that can be used for doors with varying thicknesses. Drilling will undoubtedly be more comfortable when you have this kit.
Affordable Installation Kit
BLACK+DECKER 79-362 HCS Door Lock Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Perfect for avid fans of DIY.
- Works flawlessly and can be maneuvered easily.
- Can drill and boreholes perfectly.
What We Don’t Like –
- Not for those who would be installing multiple locks per day.
- Jams and strike plates might be more challenging to install than the others.
Among the brands in the market right now, this is probably one of the most capable regarding both installing and replacing door locks. However, it might only be limited to door widths measuring 1-3/8 to 2-3/8 inches. Nevertheless, it would still be able to work for most doors. It is lightweight, and its dimensions are just proper for one who wants convenience regarding handling and storing the tool. It will be able to cut wood cleanly. It is very user-friendly and has instructions that are very straightforward. This is recommended for beginners who want to avoid the stress of changing and installing locks.
Durable and Carbon Installation Kit
Irwin Tools 3111001 Wooden Door Lock Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Holes would line up neatly.
- Hole saws and template are perfect for multiple usages.
What We Don’t Like –
- Sometimes jiggles especially when you are trying to cut holes.
- Plastic design makes it weirdly flexible.
- Not for professionals.
Irvin boasts of its wooden door lock installation kit that has been in the circulation for many years now. If you are only looking for locks that work for wooden doors, then this should be on top of your list. It is highly durable and would surely be able to resist scratches and damages. It has been manufactured by one of the companies in China that are known for its high-quality products. What makes it unique is its durable carbon hole saws that can cut openings without difficulty. With just a few steps, you will be able to get the job done. Door handles and locksets would not be a problem when you have this one.
Easy Deadlock and Lockset Installation Kit
Ryobi A99DLK4 Wood and Metal Door Lock Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Innovative when it comes to latching.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
What We Don’t Like –
- Difficulty in unscrewing the hole saw.
- Works better in wood doors only.
If you are looking for something that has everything that you need, Ryobi is the answer. Even if you do not have any experience in installing locks, you will find it easy to do so when you have this kit. Most standard locks and deadbolts would work with this one. You need to have the set and know how to drill then voila; you already have a door lock. Clean-cut holes would inevitably be achieved because of the saws that are included in this kit. It also has an auto strike locator technology that would help in aligning the template brackets for a perfect finish. There are also drill accessories that you will not see in other brands.
EZ-Guide Template Installation Kit
MIBRO 300681 Carbon Steel Door Lock Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Very easy to use.
- Fits most door thicknesses.
- Alignment of latch hole and deadbolt hole or doorknob can be achieved perfectly.
What We Don’t Like –
- Dimensions might not work for some.
- Might not fit the hole saw.
This one is designed for professionals who are looking for a kit that would work best in wooden doors. It is very simple and easy to use. It can make product quality holes because of its hole saws that are manufactured with the right materials. It is very durable, making it worth every penny that you will be spending on it. MIBRO is one of the oldest companies that have been producing door lock kits and because of this, you can be assured of the quality of the products that they provide. It will now be easier for you to install not just door locks but also, deadbolts. You can use it for metal, but you also need compatible parts.
All-in-One Installation Kit
Ryobi A99HT2 Door Hinge Installation Kit
What We Like –
- Good grip to it that helps you cut clean and nice.
- Has a depth guide that would assist in making the perfect finish.
What We Don’t Like –
- Made of plastic, so durability is in question.
- Not commercial grade because the plastic is thin and bends easily.
This is the perfect mortise template that you have been looking for. With this one, there will be no need for your screws and nails because there is already a screw in the clamp that will be able to accommodate different door thicknesses. This is one of the most versatile kits that you will find because it has removable plastic inserts that will make mortising more fun. There are included bits with a storage and a removable front guide rail which will allow you to work with routers and chisels. There are a lot of door sizes where you can make use of this one. Things will surely be a breeze even if you are a beginner.
What are the Different Types of Door Lock System?
Before purchasing your kit, you also need to familiarize, yourself with the different types of the door lock system. When you know all these things, you would be able to assess what you need correctly. Here are some of the most common door locks that you will find in stores right now:
First is the mortice locks. This is commonly found in domestic houses and in offices. It usually requires a key both to lock and open it. This was designed for external use and may be distinguished easily because of its kitemark symbol. It is very hard to break so you will surely be secured from thieves.
You also have the so-called night latches. Some people refer to is as secondary locks. It comes in two forms: standard and deadlocking. What makes the two different from each other is the necessity of a key to be able to open the door from the inside and outside. The former would not require it, but you would need to use the snib to hold the latch back. The latter, on the other hand, would require a key. Since it needs a key, the deadlocking latch is more secure.
Multi-point locking systems
There are also multi-point locking systems which you have probably recognized because they are too familiar especially on UPVC doors. What makes this one interesting is that it has a minimum of three locks that simultaneously lock when you use your key. This is mainly for external use such as in garage and patio doors. Because of its three lock points, you can be assured that things will be safe and secure.
Biometric Door Locks
Are you tired of fumbling for keys with arms full of groceries, etc.? Have you lost or forgotten your keys and been locked out of the house until you found the keys? Have you or friends’ homes been broken into by thieves with bump keys or who found the spare key hiding place? There is new technology that can get rid of all those problems with door locks. Now you can purchase Biometric door locks and keypad door locks and do away with door keys. These electronic locks can remember the whole family’s fingerprints or secret codes if keypads are used.
If you are worried about home security and concerned that neighbors have had break-ins, it may be time to step up home security by having more break-in proof locks on the doors. You want any lock to have deadbolt capacity. A deadbolt is a stronger, longer metal piece that the lock shoots into the door frame when you lock the door. It is harder to kick in or force open than a regular lock. Deadbolt locks can come with keys or with the electronic locking systems that open by use of a code in a keypad, a digital tag or fingerprint readers.
The electronic locking systems are much harder to break into as it is hard to guess codes or duplicate fingerprints. The Biometric door locks are most comfortable for the family to use because there are no codes to remember or digital tags to lose. There are no keys to worry about losing or getting copied without you knowing. This is an excellent system for latch key kids coming home from school. The homeowner can install many of these locking systems. They include good instructions for installing. There are lock systems for interior and exterior doors and even sliding glass doors and garage doors.
Combination Door Locks
The best door looks for the safety of your home or business is combination door locks. This is the most effective locking system for keeping unwanted visitors from entering your property. Many times when an intruder is trying to unlock one of the locks an alarm can be set off. This is because the combination door locks take a longer time to open, which gives security a chance to make it there before entry is granted. Protecting ourselves, our families and our possessions is the top priority for everyone; it only makes sense to want to have the best type of locks to do so.
There are a few different types of combination door locks. The first being a lock that you have to enter a combination to grant entrance. This type is useful because only the owner should have the correct combination. This combination will only let the proper person through the door. These types of locks are helpful for obvious reasons. They also take longer for the intruder to figure out how to open. However, many have made it a craft try to figure out combination door locks, so they aren’t without risks.
The other types of combination door locks are the type that has a combination of a couple of different style locks, all on the same door. This type may include the use of a deadbolt type of lock, a traditional key entry lock and perhaps a keypad for a combination lock. Of course, this type of lock would take much longer to gain access, which would leave some intruders exhausted. They may be turned off by so many things that must be done before entering your property. At the same time, you need to consider how long you want to have to take to gain entry as well.
The combination door locks also save money on insurance premiums. These types of locks along with a combination of others will make your home more secure which can save money on your homeowner’s insurance. The safety of your home and property should never be compromised, and the best possible steps should be taken when securing them.
Garage Door Locks
The type of garage door lock you use can secure your items that are stored in your garages such as lawn mowers, tools, and your car. If your garage is attached to your home, you will want to use a more secure lock to protect your home as well. Garage Door Locks come in different types. The slide door bolt is the most common used. This usually comes with a garage door; it has a bolt that slides into a slot so your garage door cannot be opened from the outside. The T-handle lock is also very common and got their name because they look like a T, these types of Garage Door Locks are generally on the outside of the door and have two bolts that go into slots on each side of the doors tracks, these take a key to open it.
Garage Door Locks that have become the most popular but cost a little more are the electronic door locks, most of these Garage Door Locks require no key at all. With this type, you will have a keypad that you will put in numbers if the wrong number is put in then the door will not open. These also come in a brand that it can read your fingerprints to let you in. Electronic locks have no keyhole making it almost impossible for a burglar to get in. The only thing about the electronic locks is they run off electricity, and if you lose your electric, you may not be able to get in. Every garage door needs a lock to protect your valuables, picking out the lock for you can be determined by where you live. Do you live in a high crime rate area? If so you may want to go with a more expensive lock. Lower crime areas may go with a simpler less expensive lock.
High-Security Door Locks
In today’s dangerous world you can’t leave anything to chance. When it comes to home safety, in addition to having an alarm, you also want to ensure that you have high-security door locks on your outside doors. High-security locks come in a variety of options from biometric, to electronic and even keyed locks with extra durable deadbolt and deadbolt strikes to prevent someone from kicking the lock-in.
When purchasing high-security door locks, there are a couple of things that you want to consider. First of all, who needs access to your home? A biometric lock is a pretty cool thing; you don’t have to worry about a family member losing their keys. If you choose this option, make sure that it is programmable for a larger number of people. Also, pick one that allows limited access so that when you have guests, they can enter while they are visiting but are denied access after the time you specify is up.
Another keyless option is a keypad high-security lock. These offer you the flexibility of not having to carry around a house or business key. If you need to grant access to a large number of people, such as at a business, you don’t have to fuss with providing an access key. Also, you can choose locks that allow different codes for different people. This is great for tracking when someone comes into your building or your home; if you need to remove access, you don’t have to assign a new combination to everyone. Just delete the code for the person who no longer has access.
If you need to work within a budget, then a keyed lock can be the answer; these keyless wonders are some of the best in high-security door locks and is some of the most popular when it comes residential security.
Keyless Door Locks
The advantage of keyless digital doors over keyed doors is that there is less opportunity for burglars and other criminals to enter a residence or business using entryway tampering. Without a keyhole to damage or meddle with comes fewer chances of someone entering a business or home illegally. Homeowners and companies alike can utilize biometric fingerprint technology or give everyone an access code which can be used to enter a residence or workplace. Remote key access allows one to open the door upon exiting their vehicle. No hassle of fitting the key to lock at the doorway.
Door locks that use a key are still susceptible to lock picks. Even the most secure door will generally be weak against someone with advanced lock picking skills. Safety issues with locks that have keys are that they can be duplicated, making a home more accessible to theft and other dangers. There is also the factor that people leave the house without locking up all the time. While standing in a doorway trying to get in by searching through an endless number of keys that look alike, people open themselves up to the dangers of home invasion. Keyless door locks will rid that worry effectively and efficiently.
No longer will worries about lost keys surface when access is as simple as using a keypad to enter in a code. What better way to enter a home or workplace more securely than with keyless door locks? As easy as a regular lock to install, there is no worry about whether it will work for a door type. Most have an auto lock feature that sets a time frame where locks engage once a door is closed. They are often equipped with enough illumination so that one may enter an access code should the come home at night.
Keyless door locks are a good investment but taken a step further keyless entry can be used on gates, investment properties, and the like. The only thing one should worry about while at the door is whether there are a cold drink and food in the refrigerator.
Cylinder locks might not be the most secure choice, but it also offers convenience regarding its installation. A metal door lock installation kit would usually work with this one. However, you need to make sure that lock snapping will not happen even though cylinder locks are vulnerable to this condition. Shying away from standard doors, sliding patio doors are much more complicated. It uses a key-operated multi-point locking system that would increase the value of your home. It has an anti-lift device that you will surely appreciate. Those who use this one are usually those that have gardens or conservatory.
Key-operated security bolts
Security bolts that make use of key-operated techniques may be what you need especially if you are planning to use on for an external door. It can easily be mounted on a surface and fit into a door. It is essential that you place this kind of lock vertically to improve its efficiency. The functionality of this one relies heavily on the key, so you had better make sure that you will not lose yours.
Closed shackle padlocks
If you want something that is hard to attack, closed shackle padlocks are here for you. However, you need to be an expert at using it because it might be complicated especially if you are a beginner. It is usually used on garden shades, chains, and gates and other external doors. There is a counterpart that is known as the open shackle padlocks. This is one of the most common locks that you will see, and it also used for the same purposes mentioned above. Cutting this lock depending on your preferences will be easy.
Straight shackle or shutter padlocks
Straight shackle, also known as shutter padlocks, is also used for shutter gates, barriers, and chains. It can fit a whole variety of doors, and this is what makes it convenient. Lastly, long shackle products are here because of their flexibility. However, because of this quality, it is more prone to attacks since they are easier to dismantle. It can be broken using bolt cutters and saw so you should be careful when using this one.
Magnetic Door Locks
One thing that people should be more aware of is the safety and security of their items and property. All too often, we assume that because important documents are behind a shut door, they are safe and secure. But wouldn’t you feel a little more at ease knowing that your passports, social security cards, and other relevant personal information is in a safe area and you would be able to tell who had entered the area at what time? Instead of installing the primary lock and key on a door to secure the area and your belongings, go one step further and install some magnetic door locks to secure your property.
Do not let the name fool you into thinking that this is a very complicated system to install. Typically, the current magnetic door locks are one of the easiest components to install because they do not have any interlocking parts. They usually consist of three parts, one on the inside frame another on the other side of the frame, and an electronic card reader or keypad. The two components on the door frame will run a powerful electric current between them, and the current is what holds the door closed. Though it is only a current that is holding the door closed, the current will be able to withstand the same force as any traditional locks.
Another great reason to have magnetic door locks securing the area is that you will need either an electronic card reader or some keypad to unlock the door. This is extremely helpful if you need to keep track of who is going into the room and when. The electronic card readers act as a physical log of the activity going on. The cards should also be able to be assigned unique numbers so there won’t be any confusion about what card is unlocking the door.
Magnetic door locks are not as expensive to operate as many people think either. They generally only use as much electricity as it would to power a traditional light bulb. The only downfall is that you will need a constant current to keep the door locked and if the electricity goes out, you will be temporarily out of security. Though magnetic door locks won’t be the absolute best option for keeping people out of certain areas, they will be the best solution for keeping track of people who are coming in and out of an entry door.
Patio Door Locks
Are you feeling secure in the knowledge that your Patio Door Locks are the very best that are available? Would you bet the life of your loved ones and your personal property on the locks you are currently using to keep you and your home safe from a burglary attempt? If these and other similar questions have left you wondering or hesitating, then you need to pay close attention to this article.
Common sense will tell you that the most frequent place for any criminal to attempt to break into your home is through a patio door because there is less of a chance for the burglar to be seen while attempting. A patio area is private and at the back of the home. However, another aspect of the patio door is the fact that when the patio door is mentioned, most people envision a sliding door that is usually glass.
When considering how to secure your home don’t think only regarding keeping people out, sometimes it is just as important to be thinking about keeping loved ones secured inside. This is true in cases of smaller children or the elderly as well as the mentally challenged. In these types of cases, the positioning of the locks is just as important as the strength and composition of the materials. It might be well worth your time to seek the advice of a professional locksmith who can make many valuable suggestions.
Remote Door Locks
Two words, home security. When you think of home security, you tend to first envision a good security system, strategically placed outdoor lighting, security doors and of course, secure door locks. One of the most used forms of security for the doors is Remote Door Locks. There are several types of remote locks for doors, and you should be familiar with them so you can choose the ones that will work best for you and make you feel safer when entering and leaving your home.
One remote door lock is the infrared remote control deadbolt lock. This is controlled by a handheld remote that you can carry on your key chain. You must be within three feet and in front of the door to use it to unlock the door. Useful features to these types of Remote Door Locks is that it will automatically lock itself after a specified time after unlocking. It has an alert system that tells you when the batteries are low. You will also get keys to use as well in case you need them. You can even get this type of remote locking system for a doorknob.
Another type of remote door lock is the radio frequency remote for a deadbolt lock. This particular type, suitable for the disabled, can remotely unlock the door within a range of thirty feet if there are no obstacles between the remote and the door. This type of remote lock also alerts you if you have a low battery. It has a different sound for the lock, unlock and jam as well. It is a very user-friendly remote locking system for your security. This system can also be purchased to work with a doorknob.
As you can see, each one has its purpose, strengths, and weaknesses. Depending on the lock that you have and the doors where you will install them, make sure to know which one is yours before buying the best-rated door lock installation kit. This way, you will be able to know which one is the most appropriate for you.
How do I Change a Door Lock?
Can I change my own locks?
There will always come a time when you would need to change your door lock to make sure that it is still functioning well. Do not worry because you would not need to spend a lot on this one since you can do it on your own. You need to know specific steps that would help you finish the job.
- Most locks may be opened and locked using a key. Since this is the case, the first thing that you need to do is to make sure that your key is compatible with your lock. You can even use a single key for all your locks. To do this, you just need to bring your key to your local store and have them offer you the bolts that are compatible with the key. The advantage of this is that you need not to bring so many keys and get confused every time you would open one door. This will save you a lot of time that you can spend elsewhere.
- If you are planning to change your door lock, you would need the measurements of your current hole so that you would know the dimensions of the new lock that you should be buying. Make sure that you accurately do this step because it is essential that you get the exact size. It is not enough that you estimate the size. What you can do is to remove the existing lockset and check the dimensions by yourself. Usually, the hole measures 2 1/8 inches, but you must be sure about this. Aside from the hole, you also need to measure the setback. This is the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the hole. Doing so would help in correctly aligning the lock.
- You also need to replace the latch, and this can be done uninstalling the doorknob first. You just need to remove the screws on the latch plate and then insert the new latch, considering the orientation of the door. After doing this, check whether it is functioning correctly and if it fits well.
- The next step is to install the door knobs. For this part, you would need to be familiar with specific components such as the spindle and the springs that are attached to it. You would need to install the knobs by sliding this part through a certain point in the latch. The important thing is the alignment of the screws from the interior to the exterior. When something is out of place, you would quickly know because the latch would not be moving smoothly, and the knob might not turn well.
- You also need to remove the old deadbolt and install a new one. This also involves the removal of the screws that are holding the bolts together. By now, you should already know how to unscrew these parts. Most installation kits would provide you with the bolts and screws that you need. If there are certain features such as an interior plate or an outer plate that is included in the kit, then you would also need to learn how to attach them properly. All the pieces should come together correctly. The key is to know where you will be inserting the long screws both from the outer and inner parts.
- The last part is to just determine whether everything is working well. To do this, you need to install the strike plate and then test whether the new deadbolt has been properly installed. If not, you need to remove the strike plate and then adjust the depth of the cut so that the entire bolt will be accepted. It might seem difficult to do all these steps but once you are doing it, the sequence would be relatively easy.
What is the best door lock installation kit tools?
Looking for the best door lock installation kit tools and different types of lock system that would ensure your safety and security? Read our guide now.
Stay in Touch
All Power Tools Information Straight into your Inbox