Portable Power Tools Checklist
While using the portable power tools, one needs to be careful with the certain things like the hazard identification, guarding, checking of the tools, and so on. On this article, you will get all the information about different power tools checklist and the usage of them.
Power Tools Checklist
- While working with the power tools injury and illness are very common. One needs to follow the injury and illness prevention program (IIPP) to avoid the possible losses. The program should meet all the requirements of Cal or OSHA. This program includes many things like the procedure of regular inspection on site, investigation of accidents, hazards related to using the portable power tools, and the solution of overcoming the hazardous condition. (1509)
- Hazards occurred by the power tools should be identified and work on these issues.
- Different types of power tools used on the sites are- electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, power-actuated, and gasoline-power.
- Different types of task requires different types of power tools. These power tools are designed with the specification for the work. Right type of tools should be chosen for the specific type of job. [3556(b)]
- The tools should be used for the purpose and benefits they are offering. [3556(b)]
- The tool should be balanced well on your hand. It should be carried comfortably and handled properly with your hand.
- Tools should not be too heavy that these feel awkward on hand and one can feel pain on the arm and shoulders holding the tools.
- The handles of the tools should be made with the soft grips so that they don’t cut down the fingers and make any marks on it.
- A proper inspection regularly can make your tool run for a long time.
- A tool needs to be regularly inspected before start using and clean it again after using. [1699(a)]
- The power blades and other cutting parts of the power tools should be kept sharp. The worn and cracked parts of the power tools should be replaced immediately.
- Damaged and defective parts of the tools should be removed immediately from the operation and repair as soon as possible. [1699(a), 3556(a), and 3556(c)]
- Among different types of tools which are being used for different purpose, one should use the tools only on which the workers are experienced and trained. [1510(b)]
- Tools should be used only on the secured workplace. If you work in the stable and plain area with the power tools, the chances of getting injured will be lessened.
- He workers should also be positioned in the right place. Standing on clean and plain surface will help them preventing any slippery or injury. [1513 and 3273(a)]
- There should be enough light on the working areas. 
- Worker’s body should be positioned accurately while using the power tools. The air hose, cables, and the other parts of the power tools should be positions properly to avoid any kind of mishap.
There should be the proper guard on the power tools, and these guards should not be altered, in any ways. Different parts of the power tools should be guarded are-
- Gears, sprockets, and sprocket chain drives [4075(a)]
- Belt and pulley drives [4070(a)]
- Exposed shafts [4050(a)]
- Projecting shaft ends [4051(a)]
- Collars, clutches, and couplings [4050(a)]
- Hazardous revolving or reciprocating parts [4002(a)]
- Pulleys and drums [3999(b)]
SWITCHES AND CONTROLS
As there are many risks in handling the power tools, one needs to be careful operating the power tools. To minimize the loss and accidents, the operating control are ensured on the handheld power tools. [3557(d)]
Most of the power tools are run by the handheld pressure. The start their operation after getting the pressure from the switch and stop generating power when the pressure is released. These types of power tools are circular saw, chain saw, demolition hammer, wrench, percussion tools. Power of these tools may come from the electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, or gasoline sources.
Some power tools are designed with getting constant pressure. They can be turned off with the single motion. These types of power tools are- drills, tappers, belt sanders, grinders, etc.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Ensuring the safety of the workers should be the primary concern of every company. Personal protective equipment should be provided by the every company where it is required. The workers should also wear these protective gears to avoid any kind of mishap. 
- For the eye and face protection the worker should wear protective glass and also use shield on their face. Face and eye protection is necessary to work with the power tools. [3382(d) (1)]
- If any specific work have the risk of burning or cutting, the workers should use the hand gloves to protect their hands from any kind of accidents or injury. However, if there is chance of getting caught on the machineries with the gloves, one should avoid wearing gloves. 
- Using the gloves, one can get easy grip to everything.
- Workers working on the wet place, should use the foot protection. Foot protection should also be used where is the chance of getting injured by crushing something like hot object. If there is a chance of falling something on the foot, the foot protection like boot, steel toes shoes, etc. should be used. 
- Workers should wear the hearing protection if there is too loud noise which can hamper the hearing ability.
POWER TOOLS BY CATEGORY
There are different categories of the power tools. These are-
The electrical tools can come with grounded or double insulated. Tools should be used properly maintaining the rules and regulations of using it. The electrical tools should not be used in the wet areas, the electric cord you are getting should be checked regularly for fraying.
Pneumatic tools have safer use than the electrical power tools. The pneumatic tools are cheaper than the electrical tools and powered by the compressed air. This type of power tools is more popular in industrial uses. But nowadays it has become popular to the DIY enthusiast.
While running the pneumatic tools, one needs to look for if the connections of the air hose are checked and run properly. Each of the tools should come with the safety clips so that the tools never expelled from the barrel. These tolls should never be lowered or hoisted by their hoses.
While using the gasoline powered tolls, one needs to be careful about the safety of own and other people as well. The gasoline is stored in the separate container of the power tool and when operating the gasoline is transferred to the other container. The fire extinguisher should be present where the gasoline power tools are used. After the work is stared with the power tool, the grounding and bonding procedure are started.
Powder actuated power tools are used by the professional and certified workers only. Operating this tools, one needs to have proper training. Only who has the valid operator’s card can operate the powder actuated by the tool. Powder on the tool is not added until the tool is not prepared for the work. The tool should not be unattended anytime. Maintaining proper rules and regulations of operating the tools, one can use it for specific works.
So, these are some rules and regulations of using different types of power tools which everyone should know.