The invention of small tools and equipment has made our life simpler in many ways. The tools like axes, clamps, hammers, saws, and many more are used in daily life for making the jobs easier. The fact that the chisels we use these days are the invention of ancient times might shock one. Yes, you read it right. The chisels have been on this land since the Egyptians era. Nowadays there are different forms and styles of Rammer Chisel Tool for various purposes. A sharp chisel is all that a woodworker needs for a quality work.
Some facts to consider while buying a chisel
1. Styles of Chisel –
One can witness various styles of chisels at a woodworker’s workshop. These professionals own top-quality chisels for the perfect outcomes. Some types of chisel are as follows –
- Timber Frame Gouge: This chisel type is thick from the edge and curved as well. These are used for deep cuttings of sturdy woods in which a trouble of chisel being stuck can be seen. The timber frame chisels are strong and can be easily struck with a hammer over the woods.
- Mortice: A mortice chisel is required for heavy works. These chisels are used for cutting mortices as the name says it all. These powerful chisels cut and lift the extra wooden piece easily from hardwoods. One can strike with heavy hammers as the handle is made of hard steel.
- Butt Chisel: The butt chisel is shorter in length and is used where an accurate cut is essential. The short size of a butt chisel is easy to control on the edge parts. The shot of this chisel never misses out when pushed or struck ideally. This chisel is mainly known as the Rock Breaker as well, due to its small and sturdy nature.
- Bevel Edge: These are recognized as the horse of the chisels. This is the most versatile form of chisel used worldwide in almost every workshop. These are used where thin and fine cuttings are required. This is usually necessary when the work is to be done at tight corners or edges.
2. Elements to Consider While Buying Chisel
- Blade: Most of the chisels are made of high-speed steel mingled with alloys. These days, steel alloys are introduced to make these handy tools. But, high-speed steel is much sturdy then carbon steel. The carbon steel becomes a little brittle or gets too hot while sharpening. Make sure to opt for the ideal steel before buying a chisel.
- Handle: This is the most important part of a chisel. The complete work is done relying on the handle of a chisel only. One has to handle the chisel comfortably for the longer period. Struck the handle with the hard hammers is also a part of work in the workshop. Handles of plastic and wood are easily available in the market. So, make sure to opt for the one that fits your requirement well.
- Tempered Blade: If you want a chisel to use for a longer time, opting for one that is hardened up to entire length would be great. The blade gets shorter after sharpening it numerous times, as the metal gets removed. The blade that is hardened up to entire length will have the same power at 10 cm that it has at 30 cm. Going for cheaper chisels that have a little-hardened area would be a bad choice. so, choose the chisel wisely.
3. Branded Chisels
One can look for the chisels made with finest quality materials. Look for the chisel in which the blade is made of hard rock steel. Make sure the blade is hardened and tempered to the whole length for an increased working life. One must look around the online market to choose from a variety of options.
There are a lot of brands that made world-class carving tools. For a beautiful woodwork outcome, an ultimate edge-cutting tool is required that has a longer lifespan as well.
Look around for the brand that provides a coating over the chisel for better protection from corrosion. A coat of oil will work well if it is not coated before. Store the chisels in chisel bags or wooden boxes to guard the edges. Replacement of the damaged or broken handles is imperative before using the chisel for designing.
5. Wrapping Up
This is the complete guide for buying a rammer chisel tool for your job. These key points will treat you with the preeminent chisel to make your efforts worth.