One thing that makes a good builder or construction worker is to know what his tools are, what they are for, and knowing which one to use appropriately. It also includes the ability to determine the specifications of the bits and pieces he owns. One of the most common components of the toolbox of a person who is involved in construction is the torx. Torx bits and screwdrivers are essentials things you should have particularly when you are involved in different projects. Before you can use them appropriately, there are certain things you should know.
It designs to have six-points splines, each having individual sizes. These different sizes are measured in T-sizes. If you haven’t noticed it yet, you will see in the market these T-sizes whenever you are shopping for the perfect torx screws. It can see them in the exterior of the parts, but sometimes, they may be hard to find. Depending on the manufacturer, you can quickly identify the size of the screw. However, for those that do not indicate the size, know how to measure one.
Related – Where to Use Torx Bits
Measuring the size of a torx is easy. You need a ruler and a chart from Textron that you can use to identify the size based on the corresponding measurements you will make. It simply measures the length or diameter of any other object you will find. However, this needs a lot of precision and accuracy, so you will not make mistakes in your purchase. Everyone can do this task, so it is easy to teach to other people. Here are the steps you need to do:
- Line up the ruler on the tip of the screw and then measure from one point to another. Make sure you identify the two ends of the piece correctly.
- Examine the markings on the ruler and write them down on a piece of paper. If you are having a hard time doing this, try to ask someone to read them for you for confirmation.
- After recording what you have seen, try to compare these numbers on specific charts available on the internet. For example, you can use the Wiha website to determine the torx bit’s exact T-size. You need to compare the measurement on the first column of the charts.
- There is a lot of charts out there, but they usually have the same standards so no need to compare one from the other.
Image Credit – WihaTools
Knowing how to measure a torx screw is an advantage especially when you are the one purchasing the pieces for your toolset. Sometimes this will come in handy because not everyone will give you the exact T-size of a screw. Sometimes, there might also be errors, so you need to do things on your own.
Related – Cleaning Your Socket Set
Aside from the torx screw, also know how to measure the size of your torx screwdriver so you would see if they are compatible or not. For this one, here are the steps:
- Check the package. This is one of the simplest things you can do. For example, you can check the package of the screw compatible with the screwdriver. Make sure you determine how long and thick the slot of the screw head is.
- Scrutinize your screw. Depending on the brand or the model, the tips of screws may be different. Usually, a Torx screw is star-shaped, and each has its measurements.
- Use a tape measure to determine the standard blade screw head slot. You can use a ruler or a tape measure for this one. Once you have identified the measurements, it is time to go to the market and make your purchase.
Since Torx items come in different sizes, it is imperative you include determining their size on your skill set. Otherwise, you might make the wrong purchase and not be able to use these things for the project you will work on.